Thursday 2 December 2010

6th December, Spanish Constitution

Dear students,
As you know on 6th December we celebrate the Spanish Constitution, "the fundamental law of the Kingdom of Spain. It was enacted on foot of the 1978 referendum, as part of the Spanish transition to democracy. It was preceded by many previous constitutions of Spain.
The constitutional history of Spain dates back to the Constitution of 1812. After the death of dictator Francisco Franco in 1975, a general election in 1977 convened the Constituent Cortes for the purpose of drafting and approving the constitution.
A seven-member panel was selected to work on a draft of the Constitution, these men came to be knownas the “fathers of the Constitution”. They were chosen to represent the political spectrum within the Spanish Parliament.
-Gabriel Cisneros (UCD)
-José Pedro Pérez-Llorca (UCD)
-Miguel Herrero y Rodríguez de Miñón (UCD)
-Miquel Roca i Junyent es:Miquel Roca (Convergència i Unió)
-Manuel Fraga Iribarne (Alianza Popular)
-Gregorio Peces-Barba (PSOE)
-Jordi Solé Tura (PSUC)
The constitution was approved by the Cortes Generales on October 31th, 1978, and by the Spanish people in a referendum on December 6th, 1978. 88% of voters supported the new constitution. Finally, it was promulgated by King Juan Carlos on December 27. It came into effect on December 29, the day it was published in the Official Gazette. Constitution Day on December 6 has since been a national holiday in Spain.” (Source: wikipedia)

And now let’s turn this into something of English interest:
HOW OLD WERE YOU?
WHERE WERE YOU?WHAT WHERE YOU DOING ON 6th DECEMBER 1978?Please write a comment with your answers to this question (2 or three sentences are ok)

4 comments:

Gloria said...

I was seventeen and I fell in love for the first time. I was awakening to life and also in Spain was living time of change.
Ah, those were the days...

Guerrera Ad Libitum said...

I was only 2 years and 10 month !!!I dont Know what I was doing,but I suppose that sleep,eat or play.

Rosa said...

Great comment Gloria! I think you wanted to say that Spain was living a time of change (not "in") or as Bob Dylan said "The times are (or were) changing"

Yes Maria, you were problably sleeping, eating or playing as babies do.

I was five years old and I do not remember what I was doing at the time but my guess is that I guess very excited because I was going to have a baby brother in a couple of months.
Thank you for your comments

PACO RUIZ said...

I was only five years old so I don't remember anything but I think that was an important moment in the spanish history.